Hazing....thoughts?

timesjoke

Progressive Killer
Sort of on a similar concept as the coverups at Penn State, a recent death of a college band member that is at least at part the result of hazing from fellow band members has a lot of people asking where was the school leadership in trying to protect the young people who come to their school to learn?

One point is this:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/2...s-warned-school-about-hazing/?intcmp=trending

The school fired the band director after the death but the director says he tried to suspend 26 other students two weeks before this incident for hazing but the school and parents refused to support him. I don't know if this is true but if it is you can't blame him, the school had a hazing problem and it looks like they had no intention of doing anything about it, in fact they seemed to be promoting it against the will of the band director. Again, assuming what he says is true, he could be just trying to save his image too.

The specifics are not really the case, any of us who have had any time on a University campus know that hazing is a part of life for some students. If you want to join a fraturnity, or other strong group during your time at the University you will be subject to hazing most of the time. It is mostly about the existing kids making the new kids "earn" their place in the group, a ritual of passage, a process of joining the "family" where hardship and sacrifice marks your passage.

But what do you think about it?

Do you think the school leadership is responsible for this death or are the students who conducted the hazing responsible?

Do we charge the students who did the hazing?

eddo

I don't like you.
yes, the students should be charged.

and if the administration vetoed the directors suspensions, then they should be brought up on negligence charges.

and if the director is lying to try to cover his buttocks, then he should be charged as well (with negligence.)

but yes, those who took part in the hazing that led to this young man's death should be punished by the law, not just the school.

Cloaked

Iron Fisted Ruler
Staff member
Been going on for ages. It was going on my first year playing varsity football. It was going on when I pledged in college. I have to say it is much worse than what I was put though. It was more a humiliation thing than anything that would cause you harm.

timesjoke

Progressive Killer
Been going on for ages. It was going on my first year playing varsity football. It was going on when I pledged in college. I have to say it is much worse than what I was put though. It was more a humiliation thing than anything that would cause you harm.
Not sure of your age but I was in college the first time over 20 years ago and I agree, it was more of a humiliation process but over the years each generation seems to cranck up the volumn until we get to where we are now and there is real damage being done.

eddo,

I agree on the surface considering charging the young adults who were doing the hazing but I also consider that this had been done for years and it was done to all of them, like child abuse the abused grows up to do abuse themselves. In many ways the hazing is part of what they learned as acceptable behaviors when they went to school, the school iteself is in my opinion more at fault for 'breeding' this into their environment.

But, how do you break this cycle? How do you change the mindsets already in place, it is the in place young people who pass this down to the next generation? Make examples? Watch as thousands of people do something and say nothing then slam a few for doing what everyone else has done? I would bet a good lawyer could take that down pretty easy, but if not is that truly fair?

Rose

On my end, I honestly think that while the school is accountable for whatever incident that happens in their premise, the students who commit the hazing should be the ones that should be charged responsible. For the most part, they (the students) are already mature and given their ages, should know what right and wrong is.

If I had my way, I would certainly make sure something concrete really happens with students involved in hazing.