I.o.u.s.a.

ImWithStupid

Super Moderator
#1
Just in case anyone cared. CNN is going to broadcast the documentary movie, I.O.U.S.A., on Saturday January 10th at 2:00 EST and Sunday January 11th at 3:00 EST.

The first link is about 30 minute version of the movie. The second is a link to the website about the movie.

[ame=[media=youtube]O_TjBNjc9Bo[/media] - I.O.U.S.A.: Byte-Sized - The 30 Minute Version[/ame]


CNN to Air Timely Documentary and Discussion About U.S. Economic Challenges
 

hugo

Big Time BS'er
#3
What we are doing to our children and grandchildren is unconscionable. My parents and there parents before them sacrificed so their children would have better lives. We are burdening our children with debts that will take heavy taxes in the future to pay off. The Bush deficits during times of prosperity puts a lie to any claim of conservatism in the Goldwater tradition. I no longer support tax cuts without matching cuts in spending. I would rather pay the burden for our stupidity than have my descendents do the same.
 

Bender

Administering the BS
#4
I'd rather pay for it now myself as well. The cost of holding it off will make the burden even worse and the suffering even greater if we don't. I'm actually disappointed that Obama is talking about giving tax breaks to us all. He should be taxing the hell out of us, that's what Liberals are famous for.

I'm also for cutting spending, starting with welfare. Unless your in a damn wheelchair with broken arms, there is no reason to not be working. I've seen way way way too many people taking advantage of the system or claiming some form of BS disability (excuses) to tell me that welfare needs serious reform. Put those damn Hispanics with anchor babies to work.

It's not only welfare, but SSI as well... actually, now that I think of it, I've probably seen more SSI abuse claims then welfare... sad I tell you, just sad.

For instance, people who get SSI because they have some type of mental instability or learning difficulty (A.K.A. laziness), Jesus, take these people out back and put a fukking bullet in the back of their heads and be done with it already.

Disability my ass. Their just lazy ass bums cutting into everyone else's Socialist Security.

Like myself for instance. I had surgery on my shoulders to correct a damaged spinal cord nerve, hasn't done really crap for me over the last 6 or 7 years and makes me unable to do jobs I am accustomed to. But did I go out and get disability? Hell no, I just simply went out and found a job I COULD do.
.
.
 

ImWithStupid

Super Moderator
#5
hugo said:
What we are doing to our children and grandchildren is unconscionable. My parents and there parents before them sacrificed so their children would have better lives. We are burdening our children with debts that will take heavy taxes in the future to pay off. The Bush deficits during times of prosperity puts a lie to any claim of conservatism in the Goldwater tradition. I no longer support tax cuts without matching cuts in spending. I would rather pay the burden for our stupidity than have my descendents do the same.
If I remember right this was made before the current spending craze of TARP and such. It talks about the true deficit dealing with the debt left to us and the future from Social Security and Medicare liabilities from The New Deal and Great Society expansion of government and Bush Medicare Drug Benefit, from our parents and grandparents generations and now us.

The crap going on now pales on comparison to what those will leave, but it isn't helping. The only thing that will come close to Social Security and Medicare and the Medicare Prescription Drug, will be the enormous expense universal healthcare will bring.

That's why I have the signature I do. Social Security and Medicare are the biggest "Ponzi Scheme" in history.
 

hugo

Big Time BS'er
#6
ImWithStupid said:
The crap going on now pales on comparison to what those will leave, but it isn't helping. The only thing that will come close to Social Security and Medicare and the Medicare Prescription Drug, will be the enormous expense universal healthcare will bring.

That's why I have the signature I do. Social Security and Medicare are the biggest "Ponzi Scheme" in history.
SS is fixable, Medicare ain't.
 

wez

Big Time BS
#8
hugo said:
What we are doing to our children and grandchildren is unconscionable. My parents and there parents before them sacrificed so their children would have better lives. We are burdening our children with debts that will take heavy taxes in the future to pay off. The Bush deficits during times of prosperity puts a lie to any claim of conservatism in the Goldwater tradition. I no longer support tax cuts without matching cuts in spending. I would rather pay the burden for our stupidity than have my descendents do the same.


You da man teach... you da man..
 

ImWithStupid

Super Moderator
#9
wez said:
You da man teach... you da man..
I disagree this is a new phenomenon. This was put in place in the 1930's was doubled up on in the 1960's and is about to double down again.

Not only are going to get universal healthcare that has been touted to be modled off of Medicare, but a pledge to add 600,000 new government employees to make new jobs. With those jobs come an eternity of healthcare and pensions on the backs of taxpayers.

This is just like the governments version of the UAW and the Big 3, it just won't be noticed or until the first round of major retirements come about. Talk about passing it on to our children. At least the UAW put it on the backs of what were up till now, private companies. The current plan puts it all on the backs of future taxpayers.

Here comes 65% income tax.
 

wez

Big Time BS
#10
ImWithStupid said:
I disagree this is a new phenomenon. This was put in place in the 1930's was doubled up on in the 1960's and is about to double down again.

Not only are going to get universal healthcare that has been touted to be modled off of Medicare, but a pledge to add 600,000 new government employees to make new jobs. With those jobs come an eternity of healthcare and pensions on the backs of taxpayers.

This is just like the governments version of the UAW and the Big 3, it just won't be noticed or until the first round of major retirements come about. Talk about passing it on to our children. At least the UAW put it on the backs of what were up till now, private companies. The current plan puts it all on the backs of future taxpayers.

Here comes 65% income tax.

Even if... I'd like to sacrifice to be part of the solution for the future.. not part of making the problem worse.. Gotta stop somewhere before we totally destroy ourselves and any future for the young and unborn. All you folks with kids of your own should feel that way doubly so.
 

ImWithStupid

Super Moderator
#11
wez said:
Even if... I'd like to sacrifice to be part of the solution for the future.. not part of making the problem worse.. Gotta stop somewhere before we totally destroy ourselves and any future for the young and unborn. All you folks with kids of your own should feel that way doubly so.
The thing is it will take radical legislation, a catastrophic event or a Constitutional amendment to change things.

Once you accept 65% income tax, and they see the revenue coming in, it'll just go out to new spending and not paying down debt.

 

Bender

Administering the BS
#12
65% income tax? That's sounds a bit far fetched to me. I say universal health care would work if you start cracking down on hospitals/health care providers and insurance companies.

I mean come on, $500+ for a simple emergency room visit for say, just to get a couple stitches, or maybe a nebulizer for an asthma attack? Plus the cost of the Respitory therapist, and etc, etc..

Hospitals get away with it because they know insurance companies will pay it, insurance companies will pay it because they know they can suck more premiums out of everyone. It's a damn vicious cycle I tell ya.

Our healthcare is ALREADY being compromised because of this scheme, and people are worried that universal coverage will make it worse? Nope, just doesn't make sense to me one bit.
.
.
 

ImWithStupid

Super Moderator
#13
Bender said:
65% income tax? That's sounds a bit far fetched to me. I say universal health care would work if you start cracking down on hospitals/health care providers and insurance companies.

I mean come on, $500+ for a simple emergency room visit for say, just to get a couple stitches, or maybe a nebulizer for an asthma attack? Plus the cost of the Respitory therapist, and etc, etc..

Hospitals get away with it because they know insurance companies will pay it, insurance companies will pay it because they know they can suck more premiums out of everyone. It's a damn vicious cycle I tell ya.

Our healthcare is ALREADY being compromised because of this scheme, and people are worried that universal coverage will make it worse? Nope, just doesn't make sense to me one bit.
.
.
I was talking about it would take 65% income tax to even bring a dent into the entitlements that we have with Social Security, Medicare but it you put universal healthcare on top, 65% won't even make a dent.

Once the government is paying the bill the abuse will be astronomical. When you take away personal responsiblility, all you get is abuse.

See the case that atlantic brought up...

atlantic said:
I have to agree with the heat control thing too. My last apt was never under 86 degrees because of the older woman who lived downstairs from me. We had heat included with the rent. So she kept it on 365 days a year. She did it to stick it to the landlord, who was an awesome guy.

He told me that for his units last year alone, he paid over $50,000.00 in heating costs. Which I know could have been avoided if most of his tenants closed the damn windows or threw on some slippers and a damn sweater.
When people had free heat they abused it. Same will go for free medical and any other benefit with no liability. That's what happened to the economy. Once Congress said there wasn't any risk to mortgages banks went wild. Same thing will happen with health care.

It already happens. My sister works with children of immigrants and underprivilaged. She is constantly hearing how they say they don't worry about medication or healthcare because they just go to the local hospital's emergency room and it's free.

She tries to explain that it isn't free, but as long as the bill doesn't come to them they don't care.

Whenever there isn't a consequence, as in government healthcare, government backed housing, etc... the liability will eventually take over the assets.
 

ImWithStupid

Super Moderator
#14
In case anyone is interested, CNN is running this documentary again...


I.O.U.S.A.: Solutions premieres on CNN this weekend
Watch CNN on Saturday, April 10, 1:00-3:00 p.m. EST or Sunday, April 11, 3:00-5:00 p.m. EST
Our country is facing rapidly growing deficits and debt. How can we change our course...and what happens if we don't?

The award-winning documentary I.O.U.S.A. opened up America's eyes to the consequences of our nation's debt and the need for our government to show more fiscal responsibility. Now that more Americans and elected officials are aware of our fiscal challenges, the producers of I.O.U.S.A. created I.O.U.S.A.: Solutions, a follow-up special that is premiering on CNN this weekend. This special will focus on solutions to the fiscal crisis and it will feature new footage from the producers of I.O.U.S.A. and a panel discussion with experts from a variety of viewpoints, spanning across generations.

Watch the World Premiere of I.O.U.S.A.: Solutions on CNN
Saturday, April 10, 1:00-3:00 p.m. EST or Sunday, April 11, 3:00-5:00 p.m. EST