What has Penn State taught us?

timesjoke

Progressive Killer
Even those who do not follow football at this point must know about the apparent disgrace Penn State is facing and if even if only 10% of what we are hearing is true, one of the shinning lights of higher education and sports integrity has been extinguished.

But what have we learned from this if true?

More often than not people want to have things to idolize, to 'worship' if you will, it gives us a sense of something bigger than ourselves. The Penn State school and sports program was one of these larger than life examples of so called purity and integrity. Many programs and trophies have been named after people who have been pulled into this mess and a big rush has been made to get those names removed to escape the taint they now wear. So again, what has this taught us?

Will people get more jaded? Will this beacon of light going dark help to eliminate hope in things greater than ourselves even more or will people see this as an isolated incident? One thing is certain, this is not the end of the story by far, people have been fired and some allowed to retire but new names of possible victims are still coming in and the story will only get bigger and messier as time progresses.

I know what I have learned from this, but tell me, what have you guys learned? Share your thoughts.

Cloaked

Iron Fisted Ruler
Staff member
Never believed in idol worship myself and never could understand why some people did. We are all human and no one is any better than any of us.

Sad part about this is that they have to take down statues and rename trophies that should have never been named after them anyway.

Cloaked

Iron Fisted Ruler
Staff member
How bout the shit going on with the Syracuse assistant coach and that tennis coach in New Zealand?

I taught my kids never be alone with a clown, never ask me to let them to join the cub or boy scouts and never ever go to a Catholic church. I guess you now have to add football and basketball to the list.

timesjoke

Progressive Killer
In my opinion idol worship comes from the fact that all of us humans feel imperfect and are looking for better things in those around us, sort of looking for leadership because we feel so lost a lot of the time. Our insecurities make us want to 'group up' and find strength through numbers. All these kids who end up being abused usually have poor family history to go with it (but not all). This monster from Penn State was taking advantage of kids who were already having life issues and he used their weakness to manipulate them into sexual situations.

So yes, in many ways the kids' family life was what put them into the situation of being a potential victim, but that is not an excuse and certainly is not taking away from how horrible these people are who prey on these kids. There is an old saying, "It takes a village to raise a child" and the concept works from both the positive and the negative. While we can do our best to be great parents we have to accept the fact that unless we lock them in their room and never let them out they will be exposed to the outside world. In many cases they will be alone or with their friends during those times. The people who they see and interact with WILL have an effect on how they grow up even if it is small. In broken and disrupted homes kids who can't find the security and love they need at home will end up looking to other places to find it. Some find it in gangs, some find it in sports or religion, many never find it at all and end up in splinter groups who are just ourside of the norm but have their own issues coping with society in general (like goth kids).

The people who prey on the kids are truly sick and I believe should be dragged into the street and executed for the disease in society they are but you know what really makes me sad?

When we see University Presidents and other members of the school who had nothing to do with the abuse but who tried to cover it up to protect their school "Image". I believe in many ways these people are worse than the original abuser. At least the abuser will have some kind of mental disorder to blame their actions on but these other people are not acting from a mental condition, they are only hiding the facts to protect their world, their system, their precious "Image" was more important than the lives of children.

eddo

I don't like you.
When we see University Presidents and other members of the school who had nothing to do with the abuse but who tried to cover it up to protect their school "Image". I believe in many ways these people are worse than the original abuser. At least the abuser will have some kind of mental disorder to blame their actions on but these other people are not acting from a mental condition, they are only hiding the facts to protect their world, their system, their precious "Image" was more important than the lives of children.
I totally agree with that. It's disgusting. :(

timesjoke

Progressive Killer
Going a step further, how do we deal with the scum who cover up these events? I believe they should be charged as accesories to the crimes.