Welcome to the Just BS - The Best Damn Off Topic Forum.

Just BS - The Best Damn Off Topic Forum (JBS) is the premier place to discuss and debate current topics such as religion or politics in an intelligent manner. You can freely speak your mind about religion, politics or any other topic without anyone censoring what you say or how you say it.

You have to register before you can post in most forums. The exception is the Free For All forum which is open to all users unregistered and registered alike

There are 2 user groups for registered users. One is the registered user group which gives basic privileges.You can post threads and reply to others threads. You can't access the PM system, post profile notes or upload media in the gallery.

This is to curb the spam that message forums get.

Once you have contributed 10 posts you will be moved to a new user group which will allow you to have a signature, upload media to the gallery and send and receive private messages.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Disclaimer:

Just BS - The Best Damn Off Topic Forum (JBS) is not responsible for the content of the posts made by the users of this forum. The views of the users will not necessarily be the views of JBS and JBS will not be held responsible for the content of these posts. JBS believes in free speech. That is why this forum is here. To allow people to speak freely about what is wrong in the world today or to just be able to get rid of the days frustrations. JBS will expend every resource available to stand up for a person's right to speak their mind.

What are you waiting for? Go ahead and register today and join the fun.

The Debate over debating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Time BS
Name some tactics that you do not like in debating.

What things irritate you?

What things do you appreciate?

What makes a good debater?

What makes a poor debater?

Also, why do you frequent debate forums?

How many other boards do you debate on?

Lets do this without being specific to certain persons, or by making personal references or remarks.

Progressive Killer

Childish "I know you are" comments and the like

Pretty much everything else

Speaking from the heart, truly share your views.

Being concerned with what others may think/believe about you for speaking your true feelings.

Sport/learning. I learn something new from almost everyone I interact with, so I like to meet as many new people as possible to try and understand "why" they believe what they believe.

How many other boards do you debate on?

5 on a regular basis, but I am staff on 3 of those and being staff, I cannot completely let my hair down in debates to keep my objectivity so it is nice to have other places like this one. I am a member at several forums as well, but I don't go to them much anymore.

Big Time BS
What things irritate me?

When people refuse to concede that they were wrong. Speaking exclusively toward instances when someone states X as fact, and they are proven wrong without a doubt and refuse to admit it. Sometimes even dodging the thread altogether afterward.

Why do I frequent debate forums?

I believe in continuing education. Debate forms can be enlightening. As well as a great way to get news without biased mediating formats such as network or cable news outlets. I have learned an immeasurable amount just from debate forms.

How many other boards do I debate on?

2 others.

Open mindedness. The willingness to understand that people are very different. As well as understanding that this doesn't mean they are wrong because they hold a different view than I.

Big Time BS'er
Great thread, Jhony.

I appreciate people who can stand alone in a debate

People with the patience to explain themselves over and over again (without getting angry) to an opponent who is clearly not making the same effort.

People who can share their opinion without attacking or offending anyone

People who are willing to admit they were wrong

People who can stand back from a debate and be objective

People with a sense of humour

Many things, unfortunately:

When people state their own (biased, prejudiced) opinion as fact. This is my pet peeve.

People who avoid answering basic questions

People who never bother to provide stats or facts to back up their statements

When people deliberately try to twist your words or deliberately take them out of their intended context - particularly when they do this in order to form a personal case against you, rather than the topic at hand

Hypocrisy!

People who are only interested in their own opinion and want to browbeat others rather than considering another point of view

People who make assumptions based on their own prejudice, or their wish to paint their opponent in a negative light

Preachy people who think they know better than everyone. Blergh.

A good debater does their research, and goes into the debate with an open mind, willing to learn rather than teach.

Also, why do you frequent debate forums? How many other boards do you debate on?

At the moment, this is the only board I 'frequent' and I post here mainly because I am enjoying the vibe. For the most part, people seem to be getting along and the discussions are quite fruitful. Nostalgia and a sentimental attachment to the old names helps, too.

As for the general reason behind joining debate forums themselves, I suppose I am fascinated by foreigners and their opinions - in particular, why they have these opinions. I wonder if I seem as alien to you all, as you all seem to me.

wez

Big Time BS
jhony5 said:
Name some tactics that you do not like in debating.
Pretty much just arguing opinion as fact and using accusations and anger as tools to make an argument. Logic is great, even without facts, per say..

Being judged, labeled, and looked down upon with or w/out punishment for being what my accuser in fact, is.

People with a good sense of humor. People who can give and take and not get bent out of shape.

What makes a good debater?.
Someone who can stand on their own, as Anna said, Someone who has an opinion on something and has thought it out. Asking questions for sure. It's hard for people to really understand one another. We all understand words differently, or understand the same thing in different words.

Anger, holding onto illusions for dear life, ignoring direct questions.

It's fun. I love to see what people think about anything and everything. Plus, people from all over the world can BS right here. Very cool.. I'm still fairly green at this compared to a lot of you and I don't really see it as a "debate forum" specifically. Also a place to just read and comment on whatever, laugh, kid around, have fun.. Debates, in my mind, are regulated, timed, specific, etc.. Whatever happens is fine by me. I think people should say whatever they want, whenever they want for the most part. I like when threads kinda morph out from the regular topic, like the drug thread coming from the maddy post..

I do also enjoy playing childish games of "I know you are, but what am I" when someone freaks out on me.. Hahahaha.. Maybe most of all. :D

How many other boards do you debate on?.
This be it.. Although, I've been told my debate skills are seriously lacking, so I guess I don't don't debate here either. :rolleyes:

I still don't recall ever hoisting my debate skills above my head in victory so don't really understand being told they're lacking, but whatever.. turned into a barrel of fun anyways. :D

Lets do this without being specific to certain persons, or by making personal references or remarks.
wez is a dumbass.

Status
Not open for further replies.