Welcome to the Just BS - The Best Damn Off Topic Forum.

Just BS - The Best Damn Off Topic Forum (JBS) is the premier place to discuss and debate current topics such as religion or politics in an intelligent manner. You can freely speak your mind about religion, politics or any other topic without anyone censoring what you say or how you say it.

You have to register before you can post in most forums. The exception is the Free For All forum which is open to all users unregistered and registered alike

There are 2 user groups for registered users. One is the registered user group which gives basic privileges.You can post threads and reply to others threads. You can't access the PM system, post profile notes or upload media in the gallery.

This is to curb the spam that message forums get.

Once you have contributed 10 posts you will be moved to a new user group which will allow you to have a signature, upload media to the gallery and send and receive private messages.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Disclaimer:

Just BS - The Best Damn Off Topic Forum (JBS) is not responsible for the content of the posts made by the users of this forum. The views of the users will not necessarily be the views of JBS and JBS will not be held responsible for the content of these posts. JBS believes in free speech. That is why this forum is here. To allow people to speak freely about what is wrong in the world today or to just be able to get rid of the days frustrations. JBS will expend every resource available to stand up for a person's right to speak their mind.

What are you waiting for? Go ahead and register today and join the fun.

Do atheists know more about Christianity than Christians?

Big Time BS
My link

Interesting read. I took this from another debate site. Near the end one contributer suggested religious studies in school. I think that could be a good idea, to expose youth to world religions, rather than "bible study" per se. Let youth make their own informed decisions..what a novel concept.

Progressive Killer
Now that is some funny stuff.

Let me ask a similar question: "Does a person who takes College level Spanish know more about Spanish than someone who lives in Cuba and speaks Spanish every day?

The answer is both yes and no. The college kid can learn the "technical" side of Spanish but find he can barely communicate if he actually went to a spanish speaking Country because there is more to speaking spanish than what can be found in a book. I have a friend who does translations and he has told me that translating for Cubans and translating for Mexicans can be very different depending on what areas they are from. English in America can be very different depending on where you are from.

A 'bubbla' in Boston is a water fountain, but try looking up 'bubbla' in the dictionary. The only dictionary that has it right is the urban dictionary that deals with slang but 'bubbla' is an every day word used in that area.

Christianity is more than the Bible, it is all about the realationship between the person and God and the day to day expression of it through your thoughts and your actions, not if you can spout off a verse out of the bible or how well you know about a Church custom that is performed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Time BS
Well..that wasn't predictable at all TJ..not at all :D

My link

Interesting read. I took this from another debate site. Near the end one contributer suggested religious studies in school. I think that could be a good idea, to expose youth to world religions, rather than "bible study" per se. Let youth make their own informed decisions..what a novel concept.
Just as long as the pagan rituals behind current "religious" studies are included, and the similarities between heathen, christian, islam, judaism, hindu, buddhism etc, are covered equally, it would be more of a history lesson, than anything fundamentally pixie worshipping, Emkay.

Pixie worshiping? That sounds awesome!
With the current fascination with anything witches, warlocks, vampires, demons, I'd say that the humble pixie is well overdue for a relaunch into hyperspace, Em. Agreed? :woot:

I don't like you.
if that is the same survey I took yesterday (can't tell, the site is blocked here) then not all the questions were about Christianity- thus making the article title "Do Atheists Know More About Christianity Than Christians?" a bit misleading.

I got 14 out of 15. I missed one about Pakistan.

Yeah, I care...

Big Time BS
No Eddo it wasn't a public survey thing..I don't think.

Besides...it didn't say ALL Christians were uninformed...just the majority :P

Well, if it's all about faith, how about me truly believing that I'll be forgiven for desectrating the church by using the place to practice sodomy and child abuse?

Works for the Priests. The only "punishment" they get is being shunted on to the next unsuspecting community, where blokes in gowns with a chequered past are welcomed with open arms, or should that read anuses?

Administering the BS
A large number of Deists (which I am), are composed of Ex Catholic's (which I also am). We understand the bible so much, that it can make you sick.

Peg one against a Christian on the game show Jeopardy and my money's on the Deist/Ex Catholic.

I'd say this statement is 100% accurate:

"I have heard many times that atheists know more about religion than religious people," Mr. Silverman said. "Atheism is an effect of that knowledge, not a lack of knowledge. I gave a Bible to my daughter. That's how you make atheists."

A large number of Deists (which I am), are composed of Ex Catholic's (which I also am). We understand the bible so much, that it can make you sick.

Peg one against a Christian on the game show Jeopardy and my money's on the Deist/Ex Catholic.

"I have heard many times that atheists know more about religion than religious people," Mr. Silverman said. "Atheism is an effect of that knowledge, not a lack of knowledge. I gave a Bible to my daughter. That's how you make atheists."
Ex-catholic? Or recovering catholic? My father counted himself amongst the latter, Phreakwars. The "brotherhood" turned my dad into a hater of all things catholic.

He told me that the brainwashing doesn't "take" with every new recruit. Time to get the heavy black leather belt out, for some "fear of doG" treatment.

Progressive Killer

And this is my point about how you may understand a word, but you don't understand the concept of religion.

It was a feeling of faith that inspired the religious writings, not the other way around. Men created the Bible and the many religions that have splintered from feelings of faith, but none of the books or the many religions were created by God.

So can an Atheist truly understand Christianity if he cannot understand the spiritual side of it? 100% of Christianity is internal, it is a realationship between a man and God. Atheists can never know Christianity until they are no longer an Atheist.

Let me give you another example Emkay.

If someone asked me to name some specific things about being an artist I could rattle off all kinds of popular terms and offer definitions and explanations of those terms very well but does my being familure with the artist terms and usages mean I understand what it is to be an artist?

wez

Big Time BS
So can an Atheist truly understand Christianity if he cannot understand the spiritual side of it? 100% of Christianity is internal, it is a realationship between a man and God. Atheists can never know Christianity until they are no longer an Atheist.
The only thing they possibly can't understand that you think you do is the weekly gathering of people who all claim to know everything from the beginning til the end of time.. But then again, lots of atheists prolly do since many of them were forced to go to church by their parents as kids and witnessed the hypocrisy of it all and became disillusioned with religion in general.

If 100% is internal, why do people gather every Sunday to validate for each other that they indeed are the keepers of all knowledge from the beginning til the end of time?

Big Time BS
TJ..the artists thing doesn't work for me. I personally believe we are all artists..some just choose to develop it. You could spout all that you know about art and I would likely not have the slightest clue. I have never been taught by a textbook or a school. So the art thing doesn't fit for me. Actually if it was technique you were talking..then that would be more of a learning experience for me because I never received any.

You say an atheist can't know because we don't live it...but you project your "knowledge" at people who "live" in the scenarios you dispute..everyday.

For example...you claim Canadian health care is brutal because you read some statistics..but I live here and like it. Why is it okay for you...but not for anyone else?

wez

Big Time BS
I've thanked my parents for never making me go to church.

Apparently I went to Sunday school once at like 5 years old at a Luthern church and told my mom I never wanted to go back. Never did.. Vague recollection.

My cuz.. forced by his folks to attend this same church into his teens, told his pastor/priest/whatever title they use at his confirmation that he didn't believe in God.. hahahahaha

I had many, many friends who's folks made them go to church.. most saw it as a burden.. there's a reason why.

Progressive Killer
People who share beliefs and ideas have always gathered together Wez, don't try to make it such a puzzle.

Even the complete goofballs like to gather together at places like the Huffington post and the daily kos. How about people who gather for a music concert, they are there to share their love of music, while those of faith gather to share their love of God and each other. No real mystery, the only real mystery to the Atheists is they can't find the love that is the real definition and purpose of those with faith.

The closest feeling would be the unconditional love of a parent to their child Wez, but you don't know anything about that either now do you? Can you say you fully understand how I feel as a parent, how my love changes my life just because you can spout off the medical terms involved with pregnancy and procreation? Does your superior technical knowledge of terms mean you understand what it means to be a parent?

Of course not, and that is my point with religion. You can walk around with a book of religious terms and meanings all day long but if you don't have that connection with God, you know nothing about any faith that matters.

Big Time BS
For the record..I do not claim to be one of the "all knowing" atheists described in the article. I've read the bible and thought it was a nice collection of stories..but I can't quote scripture or talk catholicism..but maybe if I had learned more about the world's religions in school, I may be a Buddhist today..or a Christian..who knows.

wez

Big Time BS
Only religion gathers to lay claim to the worlds knowledge from the beginning til the end of time.. It's a unique island all it's own. Artists and arts are something completely different. People don't gather at concerts at different locales and then fight in perpetuity with people who attended another concert 1/2 around the world 2000 years ago over the content of that concert.

btw.. the only way to love is unconditionally.. otherwise.. ain't love..

Progressive Killer
TJ..the artists thing doesn't work for me. I personally believe we are all artists..some just choose to develop it. You could spout all that you know about art and I would likely not have the slightest clue. I have never been taught by a textbook or a school. So the art thing doesn't fit for me. Actually if it was technique you were talking..then that would be more of a learning experience for me because I never received any.
Wait a second, you just made my point for me and you didn't even know it.

You just admitted you did not know the technical terms I know because you were never formally trained and instead tought yourself. That is a perfect example of my point. You produce the art anyway even if you don't know some of the technical terms and yet I do know many of the technical terms but I cannot produce any art, not art worth viewing anyway.

The same is true in something like this story your posting, while an Atheist may know technical terms and words out of some religious literature, they don't have the spiritual connection needed to truly understand faith.

You say an atheist can't know because we don't live it...but you project your "knowledge" at people who "live" in the scenarios you dispute..everyday.

For example...you claim Canadian health care is brutal because you read some statistics..but I live here and like it. Why is it okay for you...but not for anyone else?
You can't compare the two emkay, that is just silly.

Faith is in the soul, in your heart, in your thoughts, there is nothing you can use to measure faith to allow a technical review of what Faith is, it is like my example to Wez, knowing the technical terms of child creation does not mean he will ever understand the unconditional love a parent feels for their children, well good parents anyway....

The Canadian healthcare is easily defined and compared to other medical care provided here in America. The recent story of the woman who had unexplained back pain for many years and a chance comment to a doctor qualified her for a MRI that detected her cancer only after it was too late for anything short of a mirical to save her life. It can take 15 months to get a MRI in Canada, that is a measurable result of treatment we can put on paper. In America I got a MRI two days after I saw my doctor and he ordered it. I saw my doctor the next day after calling for an appointment, so three days after I started with a complaint, I was having am MRI performed, not 15 months later.

Faith and the feelings I have in my faith cannot be measured, compared, or classified by anyone but those who share these same feelings Emkay, just like we could have a discussion about how we love our children but Wez would never truly understand.

Wez, your an idiot, I should know better than to ever try to hold a reasonable conversation with you because your not interested in reasoned debate, all you want to do is start crap and bash religion.

I have never heard a single person in any church I have attended ever claim to possess all the knowledge of the world, where do you get this tripe?

I offered you a better example, love of a child from a parent, you can't measure that love or create a graph or write a book that ever does justice to the feelings I have as a parent. The day I held my oldest son in my hands and he was so tiny and helpless I was hit with a love I never even imagined was possible. With all your advanced medical knowledge of how children are created, you cannot ever understand the meaning of the love I describe, and the same is true for faith and religion. You can possess the knowledge of every religious book on the face of the planet but you will not even know 1% of what it means to have faith.

wez

Big Time BS
Wez, your an idiot, I should know better than to ever try to hold a reasonable conversation with you because your not interested in reasoned debate, all you want to do is start crap and bash religion.

I have never heard a single person in any church I have attended ever claim to possess all the knowledge of the world, where do you get this tripe?

I offered you a better example, love of a child from a parent, you can't measure that love or create a graph or write a book that ever does justice to the feelings I have as a parent. The day I held my oldest son in my hands and he was so tiny and helpless I was hit with a love I never even imagined was possible. With all your advanced medical knowledge of how children are created, you cannot ever understand the meaning of the love I describe, and the same is true for faith and religion. You can possess the knowledge of every religious book on the face of the planet but you will not even know 1% of what it means to have faith.
What the f*ck?

Does religion claim to know how humanity began? Does it claim to know what will happen for 1000 years after the rapture? Does it claim to know the guide how people should act and think? It claims concrete knowledge based on what?

OK.. your love of another is far greater than anything I could ever understand.. and it's exactly like religion and faith..